By Vijaya Sarathi G, Sr. Brand Consultant
Non-communicable diseases contribute approximately half of all the causes of mortality in INDIA. Centre for science and environment (CSE) research report 2020 attributes over 61% of all deaths in India to NCDs (non-communicable diseases) or commonly known as lifestyle diseases”
Simple terms Lifestyle diseases are ailments that are primarily based on the effect of day-to-day habits of people.
The basic action point to prevent is to have adequate awareness about deadly NCDs or Lifestyle Disease and preventive measures. The next phase of it is to educate others about it to build “Swasth Bharat”
Lifestyle diseases or Non-Communicable Diseases (NCDs) has many in their bucket, few among them are recorded to take a high death toll as per WHO.
- Cardiovascular diseases (17.9 million)
- Cancers (9.0 million)
- Respiratory diseases (3.9million)
- Diabetes (1.6 million)
- Psychological disorders
- Obesity, Gastro and IBS
The factors contributing to lifestyle diseases as per the NCBI report
- Bad/irregular food habits
- Physical inactivity
- Wrong body posture
- Disturbed biological clock
My survey report based on secondary research and interaction with Chief of 0ne of a well-known Ayurvedic Hospital Chain says: Ayurvedic life is definitely a better option in preventing & cure of NCDs for the following reasons
- Ayurveda was officially recognised by WHO (World Health Organization) in 1976
- In Ayurveda, the health and wellness of a human body as such is the sum total of his/her physical activities, the immediate environment, the mental and emotional activity with others, the seasons and how the body reacts to them
- The holistic approach of Ayurveda, treating the patient as a whole, meaning intervention targeted toward complete physical, psychological, and spiritual well-being makes this science a wonderful option in addressing lifestyle disorders
- The primary requisites of living an Ayurveda-inspired healthy life include wholesome food, meditation and yoga. If you are indulging in these three, you can prevent a lot of diseases – no hassle just changing routine
- Ayurveda works on the root cause of disease but not on the symptoms
Prevent Lifestyle diseases by
- Stop consumption of tobacco
- Avoiding Alcohol consumption
- Maintaining a healthy diet and sufficient intake of water
- Yoga / Meditation for mental health with healthy “DINACHARYA”
- Exposure to sunlight
- Daily 20 to 30 min of regular exercise
The human body belongs to an amazing category of scientific marvels in this cosmos, often acclaimed for being one of the most complex machines on this planet because of its impeccable functional efficiency and self-sustenance.
SO LET US RESPECT OUR BODY and KEEP IT HEALTHY
https://www.who.int › Newsroom › Fact sheets
Pappachan MJ. Increasing prevalence of lifestyle diseases: high time for action. Indian J Med Res.